Shroom Cake from Paper Mario series
Cooking is one of my favorite aspects of the Paper Mario series, and this may be my favorite dish to have Zess T. mix up for me. One cake mix plus one Super Shroom gets you something that looks like the cake above. The slice here is big, but do yourselves a favor and slice thin. It’s very rich. (Also, contains no actual mushrooms)
- 1/3 cup flour + 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons dutch process cocoa (Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa is great for this)
- 2 tablespoons hot coffee or water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For Cream Filling:
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream
- Handful of big marshmallows, chopped
- 6 graham cracker squares, crumbled
- 1/2 bar of chocolate, chopped
- Handfull of walnuts, chopped
- First, the cake. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Add your hot water or coffee to your cocoa, whisk together with a fork and set aside for five minutes. Then, whisk in your oil. Separate eggs. Sift together your flour, salt, cornstarch, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add half of the sugar and beat another minute or two or until thick and glossy. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Place yolks and the rest of the sugar into your mixing bowl and beat on high until thick, pale, and shiny, about five minutes. Add your cocoa/oil mixture and beat till combined. Add your sifted dry ingredients to your beaten yolks.
- Add 1/3 of your beaten whites to the yolk mixture, just to lighten it up. Then, add another third, but gently fold it in, so you don’t deflate the mass. Fold in the last third and place in an UNGREASED 8 inch cake pan, lined with some baking paper, but only on the bottom. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a rack for ten minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely. Then, half the cake down the middle. You should have what looks like two D’s. A deviation from the norm, but roll with me.
- Place chopped mushrooms in a small sifter, and sprinkle on a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whatever sticks, sticks. Place in a bowl with chopped nuts, chocolate and graham cracker crumbs.
- Whip cream in chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Add two tablespoons of sugar and beat another 30 seconds or so. Fold in your mixin’s, carefully just like before. Spread on one layer of the cake, then top with the other. Refrigerate for at least an hour before dusting with cocoa and slicing. Top with meringue mushrooms if you wish.